Yes, Romantic Relationships in High School are Worth It.

By Tessa Reidy (III), Contributing Writer

High school is a time of firsts — first car, first job, first taste of independence. But what about first love? Contrary to popular belief, prioritizing romantic relationships in high school has a positive impact on personal growth and social development. Teens should go beyond their fear of rejection and consider making a move on that special someone who has caught their attention before it’s too late.

The physical affection and sense of companionship from dating can provide much needed emotional support, leading to increased happiness and self-esteem. Having a partner who validates and appreciates them can heighten a teen’s sense of self-worth, especially at a time when teenagers value their social reputation.

High school can be a drag. Between the endless classes and mountains of homework that makes students question their will to live, it’s a wonder how they make it through at all. Having a romantic partner can make all the difference.

They motivate you to get through the day, even if it’s just to catch a glimpse of them in the hallway for two seconds. You also get to experience the joy of giving and receiving gifts on special occasions, like anniversaries and Valentine’s Day. 

Who doesn’t love a good surprise note or a small trinket to show someone cares? It’s like getting a reward for surviving another day of school; it is a  win-win. So whether you are contemplating talking to that person in the halls or your class, just do it. It’ll probably make high school a little more bearable.

Dating in high school can help with navigating through the socially awkward hallways or preparing you for your future. Not only will you be able to meet new people and broaden your social circle, but you will also gain lifetime communication skills. It can be a way to meet new people and develop social skills, empathy and understanding, all of which will help you get a job and work with people of all backgrounds in the future.

In addition, having someone to share experiences makes life more enjoyable. Who else are you going to share your embarrassing gym class moment or your epic debate tournament victory with? So, don’t be afraid to gamble on love. 

It’s a miracle we have time to breathe between preparing for exams, training for big games and competitions and attempting to maintain some kind of a social life. Yet, dating in high school can really benefit the balance of these goals and improve time management. You’ll learn to multitask to the point where you can simultaneously text your crush and study for a test.

Even if it doesn’t work out with your crush, you’ll develop a better understanding of what you want in a partner — who doesn’t love the opportunity to have some fun with someone special? Just don’t forget to blast some Taylor Swift and eat a pint of ice cream when things don’t go as planned. 

So, go ahead and take a chance on love. Worst case scenario, you will simply have more material for your emotional playlist and plot development stories for your friends.