The Argo

The Argo

The Argo

Boston’s ICA: Exhibiting Talent of All Ages

Boston teens showcase their artistic abilities at the ICA. (Source: David Nguyen (IV))

You’ve definitely heard of Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts, but have you heard about the Boston Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA)? The ICA is a museum and teaching space located along the Boston Harbor in the Seaport District. It was founded in 1936 as a sister institution to the New York Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), and was hence named the Boston Museum of Modern Art. Over a decade later, though, it diverged from the MoMA and was renamed the Institute of Contemporary Art, a name that better reflects its mission: to showcase contemporary artists and their art. Tourists and Boston residents alike enjoy visiting the institute’s one-of-a-kind exhibits, in addition to their numerous programs specifically designed for teenagers to express their passion for art.
Unlike most fine art museums, the ICA houses relatively new works from 20th and 21st century artists. Inevitably, modern technology impacts the mediums these artists use. Boston Latin School arts teacher Ms. Elizabeth Walshak comments that with “more immersive experience museums opening up,” more and more artwork displayed in museums “will adapt to consider a broader range of experiences.”
Massachusetts-born artist Wu Tsang’s collection “Of Whales” is on display at the ICA until August 4. The work is from the perspective of a sperm whale, and is part of a trilogy inspired by the classic novel Moby Dick by Herman Melville. The collection takes advantage of modern technologies, using real-time video created by extended-reality software and layered music that fully immerses the audience.
Behind the scenes are workers that help keep the ICA running smoothly, as well as several paid teen programs, such as the Teen Exhibitions Program (TEP), of which Leandra Bautista (I) is a part of. Members of TEP “organize two exhibitions a year to amplify teen art and invite teens in Boston and beyond to engage with the artwork,” says Bautista. Bautista has been involved with art her whole life, growing up in a family full of artists. At BLS, she took Foundations of Visual Arts as a junior and is currently taking AP Art and Graphic Art. She first started working at the ICA four years ago.
Bautista reflects, “Seeing the impact I left by displaying others’ art and meeting so many talented people in the greater Boston area really solidified my feelings about curation and the possibility of pursuing a career within museums.” Bautista’s work at the ICA has not only helped others, but also led her to discover a possible career path.
Recently, the ICA Teen Arts Council hosted a free teen event, “Home Is Where The Heart Is,” which included an evening of postcard making, paper collage art and open-mic discussions.
Whether you think of art as a necessity or just a part of life, anyone can benefit from visiting the ICA. Ms. Walshak adds, “Through visiting museums, people can also learn about the sociopolitical context of art or learn about facets of culture.” After all, the ICA is free for all Boston Public Schools students, so what are you waiting for?