The Argo

The Argo

The Argo

Starpower Snacks: Athlete Pregame Meals

Athlete eats food in front of camera. (Source: Ronaldo Schemidt)

Before the whistle blows and the game begins, high school athletes at Boston Latin School recognize the importance of preparing their bodies for peak performance. For young competitors, their diets and pre-game routines can significantly impact their performance on the field, court, track or ice. From supersitions to carefully planned meal preparations, each athlete has a unique approach to preparing their mind and body for the challenges at a game or event.

Pre-game meals serve as the foundation for optimal athletic performance, offering a combination of carbohydrates, proteins and fats to fuel the body and support muscle function. Oftentimes, athletes strategically time meals to ensure enough fuel is sustained for high-energy effort whilst avoiding discomfort. 

Foods rich in complex carbohydrates such as grains, fruits and vegetables provide a steady source of energy, helping athletes maintain endurance throughout the competition.

Protein also plays a key role in an athlete’s ability to perform at their highest level. Lean foods such as chicken, fish or tofu help repair muscle tissue damaged during training and play a vital role in overall performance and recovery.

University of Chicago Medicine nutritionist Dr. Timothy Sentongo echoes the importance of proper meals and hydration for athletes, stating, “If you want to be at the top of your game, you need good hydration, a meal of complex carbohydrates the day before and a high-protein diet after.”

Additionally, incorporating healthy fats into pre-game meals can provide a source of sustained energy. Nuts, seeds, avocados and olive oil can help athletes feel energized without weighing them down during competition.

For many athletes, fueling their bodies properly before a game is essential for a flawless performance. Massachusetts Division II state champion and captain of the Wolfpack hockey team Matt Carrara (I) believes that his light pre-game snack of a protein bar and a banana keeps him ready for games while allowing his mind to lock in. Carrara is also superstitious of his routine and relies on it to prime himself for success, stating, “[A] routine is important because it helps you get in the right mindset before a game.”

Proper hydration is another critical aspect of pre-game nutrition. Athletes should aim to drink plenty of fluids leading up to the game to ensure optimal hydration levels. Hydration is key for maintaining energy levels throughout the game. Dehydration can lead to fatigue, cramping and decreased endurance, causing athletes to fall short when it matters most.

Three-year varsity lacrosse player and captain of the Wolfpack swim and dive team Gianna Pergola (II) is a strong believer in the importance of hydration. Pergola accompanies her pre-game meal of avocado toast with plenty of water and hydrating beverages such as Liquid I.V. and Gatorade Propel. She believes that hydrating is crucial for performance, stating, “Hydrating ensures that your muscles function properly during physical activity […] which can improve your performance, endurance and overall well-being on the field or in the pool.”

Beyond their diet leading up to the game, many athletes also have specific pre-game rituals or superstitions that they follow. Whether it be a favorite song, tying their shoelaces a certain way or a pre-game banana, athletes across the school are strong believers in the importance of pre-game routines.