The Argo

The Argo

The Argo

Quiet on Set: Shining a Light on Darkness

Quiet on Set reveals the truth behind child labor in the acting industry. (Source: Max/ID)

If you were born in the 2000s, chances are you watched Nickelodeon shows like iCarly, Sam & Cat and Drake & Josh that hold a place in the hearts of many members of Generation Z.

While we may find them nostalgic, Max’s new docuseries Quiet on Set reveals the darkness hidden behind the catchy jingles. The ongoing limited series uncovers the exploitation and abuse of child stars, particularly under producer Dan Schneider, who worked on Nickelodeon for over two decades. Since working with Schneider, many former child actors have come out to expose the cruelty they faced on set: coercion into uncomfortable scenes, strenuous working hours and abuse at the hands of Schneider’s employees.

Most notably, Drake Bell from Drake & Josh appears in the documentary to disclose the sexual abuse he was subjected to at the hands of Brian Peck, a dialogue coach hired under Schneider. Peck was convicted of child sexual assault in 2004 and was sentenced to a mere 16 months in prison. Bell also reveals that several adults in the industry wrote letters of support for Peck to defend him during sentencing, leading viewers to question the jail time, or lack thereof, he received. Lily Courtney (III) comments, “I thought it was startling that Brian Peck only got 16 months despite his sexual assault toward a minor. I’m sure all the letters of support must’ve affected that.” Courtney adds, “It was even more disgusting to find out that after the convictions he worked on Zack & Cody, too.”

Since its release, Quiet on Set has gained popularity on social media platforms, with clips of the show going viral on TikTok. As a result, viewers have started raising similar questions and sharing their shifting opinions of the child acting industry itself. Meya Splaine (IV) says, “I was […] amazed, but not in a good way,” expressing her disgust about undetected pedophiles on a child-based set. 

Viewers who watched Schneider’s shows as children have also started to share their thoughts on many of the explicit “jokes” they featured, which the docuseries brings into focus. Splaine explains her experience watching Victorious as a child: “Some of the things were weird, but I was a kid so I was like, ‘Oh that’s funny.’” Fans reacting  have also posed concerns about the producer pressuring child actors into delivering inappropriate jokes, contributing to the toxic and unprofessional work environment.

In an even broader context, Quiet on Set has provoked a re-evaluation of the child protection policies in television. Former Nickelodeon actor Kenan Thompson has recently spoken out about the lack of responsibility the network has assumed, encouraging authorities to “Investigate more. […] It’s supposed to be a safe place for kids.” 

With more Nickelodeon-affiliated people confronting the problems within the industry, the indisputable need for change is rising. While Quiet on Set offers a deep dive into the events that unfolded under Schneider’s management, Hollywood must continually confront the uncomfortable realities behind child acting and work toward remodeling the industry.