The Argo

The Argo

The Argo

Celebrating Women’s History Month

History of Women’s History Month and its Significance to BLS

In March, teachers, students and several clubs at Boston Latin School observed Women’s History Month with various events and initiatives. Support for establishing this month started in the 1970s to 1980s, but official recognition was not granted until 1980 when President Jimmy Carter established Women’s History Week. In 1987, Congress designated the month of March as Women’s History Month. This also coincides with international women’s day, which is an official holiday in Armenia, China, Cuba, Germany and many other countries. The concept of Women’s History Month first arose during second-wave feminism, during which the Equal Pay Act, Title IX and Roe v. Wade were all passed or decided on. This push for the recognition of women and their contributions to history continues to raise awareness outside and within the classroom. In BLS AP United States History teacher Ms. Ashley Balbian’s class, she teaches about notable women who are significant to U.S. history but do not get much recognition in the course. She states that teaching about and acknowledging women’s history in various classes, including history, English and science, is “really important since women have only been allowed to attend BLS since the ‘70s.”

Ladies’ Collective

Ladies’ Collective held a Spirit Week for Women’s History Month on the week of March 4. Students were encouraged to honor their favorite female role models, promote gender inclusivity and spread awareness about domestic violence. From March 7, the club sold teal ribbons for one dollar each, a tradition they have done for a few years now as a fundraiser for the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center. Ladies’ Collective president Lillian Butler (I) states, “We definitely wanted to choose a local shelter.” In total, the club fundraised about 200 dollars. The club also hopes to continue to hold other fundraisers, the period drive that provides period products to the girls’ bathrooms at BLS and raise awareness about women’s issues in the school community.

Vietnamese Student Society

On March 18, the BLS Vietnamese Students Society (VSS) presented an after-school event teaching attendees about six notable Vietnamese women. This annual event is held to educate students, especially those of Vietnamese heritage, about different Vietnamese women who have stood up to societal standards. The theme of the presentation was “Beneath the Veil.” VSS officer Hien Nguyen (II) explains, “We chose this because women historically are expected to marry a man and serve him, but beneath that is a woman who has a dream that’s against societal expectations. Someone willing to advocate for women’s ability to express themselves freely.” VSS hopes to inspire young women to reject conformity and follow their dreams.