The Argo

The Argo

The Argo

Putting You Onto 88rising’s 1999 Write the Future

Released under the acclaimed 88rising record label on February 9th 2024, hella graces the world with a new and original sound. Joined with the likes of Smino, Rick Ross, and Cuco, 1999 Write the Future sets out to make a bold mark on the industry with their first album which truly has something for everyone.
The album starts off with “avOcadO SHakE” which is a feel good jam which has three beat switches, surprising me on my first listen. The production and attitude perfectly encapsulates the emotion of the album and provides the listener with a blast. They also do a good job of introducing and expanding their styles, especially in their debut album.
The end fades perfectly into the next track, “SPIKY BOiz”, featuring Ghostface Killah from Wu-Tang Clan, Rich Brian, Smino and Surprise Chef. The song is cha- otic, utilizing a slight synth and even a cow bell, but it ultinmately works together as the rappers flow together with their signature styles and help to create one of the most unique beats I have ever heard.
The third song on the album is “LiGhT rAiLs” also with Rich Brian and Rick Ross. The production on this song is spectacular, laying out the base for the un- likely duo to successfully pull off their first collaboration. This is a sound I have never heard Rick Ross on before and adds to his versatility as an artist.
“thanksgivin” is the sixth song on the project and features a combination of Smino and the legendary Busta Rhymes. They go in on the bass, resulting in a fast paced song that keeps you on your toes. I did not like Busta’s performance, due to him sounding dissonant with the beat. It is still a solid track and does not fail to bring the energy.
“COuGhDrOPs” follows and combines the soft voice of Cuco with the quick rap of Warren Hue. Both artists con- tribute so much passion into the song and although it is one of the slower songs on the album, it serves as one of the most notable. The two go switch off with each other sort of creating this feeling of rocking back and forth and an exceptional listen.
A notable song is “MiNt cHoCoLaTe” featuring the talents of BADBADNOT- GOOD, and brothers Westside Gunn and Conway the Machine. This is by far my fa- vorite song in the entire album and for good reason too. The beat is simply ethereal and also zen which juxtaposes with the gritty lyrics being spoken by the brothers, birthing a beautiful track in the process. There are also multiple instruments used in the ensemble which further adds to the delightful sound.
Another highlight is “SLOPES” bringing back Warren Hue and introducing Offset. This is a partnership I wouldn’t have expected but operates surprisingly well. The two rappers alternate between lines and with the employment of trumpets in the background, the song is nothing less than a banger. One can really see the group show- case their creativity in this track.
To wrap it all up comes “siGiL aNd the MaZE.” Featuring OK Wang, the melody helps to wind everything down and completes the task of wrapping up the album sublimely. It’s cozy and graceful guiding the listener through with a beautiful piano composition and elegant lyrics.
On the whole, the album is a pleasant ride, taking us through the amazing world of 1999 Write the Future and introducing them to the public ear. While it is early to tell with this being their debut album, it’s safe to say that they offer something refreshing and new to not just the rap but the music scene as whole. They were able to bring an unexpected mashup of people together and still create a powerful sound.
Now, we will have to wait to see what new music they put out next.