The Argo

The Argo

The Argo

Star-Spangled Sonnet: american dream by 21 Savage

Epic Records

Earlier this year, 21 Savage presented his third studio album to the world, the vulnerable and raw american dream. Announced a week before its release and promoted through a parody movie trailer starring Donald Glover and Caleb McLaughlin, american dream has attracted overwhelmingly positive reviews, establishing 21 Savage, or “Slaughter Gang CEO,” as an eminent face of modern rap.
Heather Carmilla Joseph, 21 Savage’s mother, starts off the album reciting a spoken word poem on the track “american dream,” reflecting on her struggles and perseverance in hopes of 21 Savage achieving his dreams. The poem ties in to the penultimate track of his 2018 album, i am > i was, in which he apologizes to his mother for his teenage mistakes. The song blends together with track two, “all of me” and samples “Wishing on a Star” by Rose Royce, supplementing a classic feel to the gritty lyrics in which Savage recounts events that shaped him as a person.
The title of another notable track, “redrum,” references the iconic scene in Stephen King and Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining, in which the word “redrum,” or “murder” spelled backwards, is croaked by the character Danny Torrance as he circles a room clutching a knife. In the song, the phrase “redrum” is repeated multiple times and is accompanied by a sinister beat, invoking a foreboding and uneasy feeling in listeners, excellently living up to the song’s name.
The eighth song, “dangerous,” is produced by 21 Savage’s longtime collaborator Metro Boomin and features Chicago rapper Lil Durk. The two musicians exchange verses about their lifestyles in an explosive, fast-paced track, leaving listeners no option but to rap along. Durk’s explosive “man what?” at 2:31 had me hyped, and left me bobbing my head to the entire song. Metro Boomin’s signature chords and drums call for attention from beginning to end.
The following track is called “née-nah” and is also produced by Metro Boomin. The song is believed to be a reference to singer and activist Nina Simone, who paved the way for much of modern African American music. The song’s excellent use of drums and 808s creates a fun piece, featuring Travis Scott alongside Savage on one of my personal favorite songs on the album.
The second to last song is “red sky,” and it is unlike anything 21 Savage has done before. Featuring alternative artists Mikky Ekko and Tommy Newport, the track incorporates both rock and orchestral elements, generating a melancholic chorus while simultaneously leading to energetic and passionate verses. “‘red sky’ is underrated,” asserts Tobias Damon (III), “I love the sample. I love the chorus.”
The album concludes with “dark days,” ­a heavy and vulnerable track. 21 Savage raps about the friends and family he has lost to violence, pleading teenagers to stay in school rather than go down the same path he did. He is joined by Mariah the Scientist, who sings along to his pain to cope with her partner Young Thug’s trial for criminal organization charges. 21 Savage talks about the impact of these losses and admits that, although he exhibits a tough exterior, he still mourns.
american dream is an enjoyable listen and a good experience and truly like none of Savage’s other works, demonstrating the artist’s movement towards a new direction. The album is an outstanding addition to Savage’s catalog, and currently cements him as one of the best rappers in the game right now.