The Argo

The Argo

The Argo

Spotlight on… Alex Green Barrios (I)

(Source: Preston Musoke (I))

Alex Greene Barrios (I), known to many as AGB, first started wrestling at the age of seven. A decade later, he is a decorated wrestler, who has recently received his 100th win and led his team to capture the Dual County League championship. 

Recently, the Boston Latin School senior committed to Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, where he will wrestle at the Division III collegiate level. Greene Barrios remarks, “I chose Case Western because of its great academic reputation. […] It is an amazing university with an innovative business school. Another bonus is that it is close to my family in Cincinnati.”

For the past six years, AGB has excelled on the BLS wrestling team. BLS boys’ wrestling coach Jeffrey Gibbons praises AGB’s knowledge of the sport, his work ethic and his dedication to training in the off-season. He also notes his strong performance in the championship match in the recent Cape Cod tournament. Although AGB lost in the first period, Coach Gibbons proudly reports, “He came back to dismantle and destroy his opponent.”

His teammates are quick to highlight his positive impact on the team environment. “He works hard in the classroom and on the wrestling mat,” says Graeme Dierks (I), a friend and co-captain. “He is determined, committed, responsible and a leader.” 

This is corroborated by Quinn Bowles (III), who named AGB “a consistent teammate who doesn’t let himself have off days at any practices or matches.” Bowles, who joined the wrestling team as a sixie when AGB was a freshman, also recalls AGB’s approachability. “He was one of the older wrestlers on the team that was easy to talk to and ask questions — and he still is for the sixies this year,” he says. 

AGB emphasizes that he is grateful to the BLS wrestling team for showing him the value of teammates and leadership. “If any of us has a bad match or tournament, we all rally behind that teammate,” he voices. 

For the remainder of his wrestling career, AGB hopes to either qualify for the national tournament or be named an All-American, a title awarded to the best collegiate athletes within a specific sport. Outside of wrestling, he is an aspiring business major with the goal of someday getting a master’s degree or attending law school.

AGB plans to continue his involvement in wrestling beyond college: “I would love to coach, probably not as a full-time job, but if I could help a high school or club team, I would enjoy that.” AGB’s love and dedication for the sport distinguishes him as an athlete, and continues to inspire others around him.