The Argo

The Argo

The Argo

Kicking it up a Notch at States

BLS girls’ varsity soccer celebrate a hard-earned win against Waltham. (Source: Alex Le (III))

Both the Boston Latin School boys’ and girls’ varsity soccer teams have had record-breaking seasons this year, with both teams qualifying for the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) State Tournament, making this one of the most successful seasons in BLS soccer history.
The boys’ team attained a noteworthy record of seven wins, seven losses and four ties. This is the best that they have played in many years, while also achieving a playoff win against Westford Academy.
The girls’ team secured an impressive record of eight wins, eight losses and two ties. For the first time in program history, they won a MIAA State Tournament game, obtained a .500 record, had the fewest goals conceded in any season and boasted the most clean sheets (six).
A significant factor in the achievements of the girls’ team was strong teamwork.
Midfielder Sophia Ginsburg (II) says, “There was good chemistry out there; we really worked together as a team. It has been a really fun season!” Teammates uplifted each other and cast aside self-interested ambitions, ultimately maximizing the team’s chances of success.
Regardless of having a very young team, they were able to excel.
Midfielder Lily Murphy (II) adds, “Special shout-out to the underclassmen and the captains. We are a very young team, [and] it’s nice to see that younger players succeed.” Having a young team can be a weakness due to smaller physical sizes, but for the BLS girls’ varsity team, it was a strength. Impressively, Nina Sly (IV) led the team in number of goals scored. Younger players were able to learn from older players in a positive team environment.
For the boys’ varsity team, this year was equally impressive. With six shutouts, 15 Dual County League goals and two players making the first-team All-Stars, it was a rare season to behold.
Leadership was most crucial to their success, whether from coaches, captains or other players. “We had excellent leadership on the team on all levels,” remarks striker Caleb Kohn (II). “We fought hard as a team through some mental and physical obstacles.”
Leaders on the team supported other players’ growth and kept the team morale strong, especially in the potential season-ending game against Jeremiah E. Burke High School. With only enough time for one more play in the game, Sebastian Munera (III) bested the goalie, sending the boys to the playoffs.
Both teams unfortunately lost in the tournament’s Round of 32. The boys conceded in a tough game to Saint John’s Preparatory School, the previous year’s State Champions. The girls lost to Natick, the No. 1 seed and the 2021 state champions.
Nonetheless, both teams put up a great fight that set a motivating precendent for future seasons.
Through triumphing over opponents left and right, breaking many records and making history, the BLS varsity soccer teams have impressed time and time again at the highest level this season. As Murphy states, “Go Wolfpack!”