The Argo

The Argo

The Argo

Smooch to Scoot: RFEF Pres. Resigns

On August 20, the Spanish Women’s National Soccer team won the Women’s World Cup for the first time, triumphing over England 1-0. During the medal ceremony celebrations, however, former president of the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) Luis Rubiales seized Spanish soccer player Jenni Hermoso’s head, placing a kiss on her lips.

In a livestream from the locker room after the match, Hermoso said that she “didn’t like it” but later defended Rubiales, stating it was “a natural gesture of affection and gratitude.” Following the uproar caused by his uncouth actions, Rubiales called his critics “idiots and stupid people,” claiming that the kiss was consensual and a gesture made in the “heat of the moment.” Later, on August 25, he gave a speech at the Federation’s general assembly refusing to step down as president, which was met with fervent applause by many in the audience. The Federation later made an official statement threatening to sue Hermoso for “lying.”

On September 8, however, Hermoso filed a formal complaint of sexual assault against Rubiales, stating that she was a “victim of aggression” and describing the kiss as an “impulsive act, sexist, out of place and without any type of consent from [her] part.” She was met with support from around the world and her own teammates. 81 female Spanish soccer players, including most of the World-Cup winning squad, refused to play until he was removed. Spain’s men’s soccer team condemned his actions as well. 

The RFEF, retracting their earlier comments in support of Rubiales, called for his “immediate” resignation. After the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) suspended him for 90 days, Rubiales resigned on September 10.

That wasn’t the end of it, however, as a restraining order was placed on him mandating he stay at least 200 feet away from Hermoso at all times. Additionally, he is facing charges of sexual assault for the kiss and coercion for pressuring Hermoso into defending him at the beginning.

“​​It was a shocking moment given the current climate we live in surrounding sexual assault, and the response by the Spanish Federation was nothing short of appalling,” BLS varsity soccer player Brendan Hobbs (I) comments. “I believe Luis Rubiales should have been immediately punished, as they had the event on camera for the whole world to see, and the Spanish Federation and FIFA did not do enough to ensure the safety of the players, especially after such a massive moment in their careers.”

Hopefully, this situation will bring awareness to the rampant sexism in soccer and expedite reform and policy changes within the RFEF and FIFA, so that no one else will ever have to endure what Hermoso had to.