Farewell to Faculty Members

These+departing+teachers+will+be+missed+by+all+at+Boston+Latin+School.+%28Source%3A+BLS+Teachers%29+

These departing teachers will be missed by all at Boston Latin School. (Source: BLS Teachers)

Mr. Gavin:

Six years of teaching at Boston Latin School will come to an end this June for Mr. Daniel Gavin, as he moves to Burlington High School in Burlington, Vermont.

At BLS, Mr. Gavin has taught a diverse array of subjects, including German, Facing History and AP World History. He has advised many clubs, including the German Club, Academic World Quest and Let’s Erase the Stigma.

The pandemic has influenced Mr. Gavin’s decision to leave BLS. With COVID-19, it has been harder to visit family, and his wife wanted to be closer to them. Earlier this year, a job opened up at Burlington High. He applied and got the job.

Grace Sullivan (II), who has known Mr. Gavin for two years, says, “Mr. Gavin inspires me every day to always be more kind to the ones around me.”

Mr. Gavin wants his students to remember that “once you’re my student, you’re always my student […] I’m just a Zoom call away.”

Ms. Holm:

After teaching at Boston Latin School for 20 years, Ms. Wendy Holm, AP Economics and AP United States History teacher, will be retiring at the conclusion of the 2020-2021 school year.

Ms. Holm says, “When I made my decision [to retire], I did not feel confident we would be back to a ‘normal’ school year in the fall, and I didn’t want to do another year that was ‘different.’ I made my decision over spring break, and I’m very happy to end on a happy [note].”

For the past two decades, Ms. Holm has been an active member of the BLS community while teaching two AP classes. She was part of the National Honor Society Teachers Committee and has helped run after school detention and Public Declamation for countless years.

One of her students, Xiangan He (I), comments, “Ms. Holm is one of the reasons why I’ll be studying business [and] economics in college. She’s the reason why I’ve come to treasure econ.”

Ms. Holm concludes, “I am forever grateful I get to end my career here.”

Ms. George:

Ms. Kristen George has been a music teacher at Boston Latin School since 2010, but this summer she will be moving South for a new adventure.

Ms. George states, “I have two little ones, who are four and six, who I have wanted to homeschool since they were born, and we were looking for an opportunity to do that […] The pandemic gave [us] some time to sit back and look at what we want for our family life.” Her destination will be the outdoors and nature of Western North Carolina.

In the past 11 years, Ms. George has taught Fundamentals of Music and Music Theory as well as directed the middle school choirs. She has also advised Gospel Choir, BLS Black Leaders Aspiring for Change and Knowledge and Cru.

Grace Sullivan (II), a member of Gospel Choir, states, “Ms. George has taught me confidence, [and] she is the most supportive teacher one will meet.”

Ms. George says, “I’m really, really going to miss my students. Shout out to the Gospel Choir, in particular.”

Mr. Baugh:

Mr. Michael Baugh will be retiring after five years of teaching Physical Education at Boston Latin School.

Mr. Baugh has spent 25 years teaching overall. Even though many teachers have decided to depart from this school due to the pandemic and remote learning, Mr. Baugh mentions the pandemic did not affect his decision.

One of his favorite memories at BLS is “watching the joy on student’s faces when they do something they thought they could never do athletically.”

Carolina Lugo Diaz (IV), who has known Mr. Baugh for over 10 years, states, “Mr. Baugh has always pushed me to be great — he’s always pushed me to be the best version of me, and I’ll always appreciate him for that.” She also mentions that one of the biggest things she had learned from Mr. Baugh is that actions matter more than words.

Ms. Wong:

Ms. Ada Wong will be retiring after two decades of being a middle school guidance counselor at Boston Latin School.

Ms. Wong has also advised BLS Asian Students in Action, Wolfpack Volunteers, Dance Club and To Write Love on Her Arms. Ms. Wong states, “After being in [Boston Public Schools] (BPS) for 30 plus years, I feel that it is time to retire.” She says that her favorite memories here at BLS were the annual Asian Nights.

Karen Mai (I), who has known Ms. Wong for six years, states, “[Ms. Wong] is a great person; she was one of the first faculty that I met. She always checked in with us and how we are doing.” She also appreciated knowing that Ms. Wong was always there for her.

Mr. Rosado-Torres:

After 11 years of teaching Algebra 1 in Room 024 at Boston Latin School, Mr. Manuel Rosado-Torres is retiring.

Besides teaching Algebra 1, Mr. Rosado also advised the Talented and Gifted Club during his first two years.

Mr. Rosado states, “It’s been 33 years, and I said, ‘I’m ready for my next adventure.’ You know when it’s time to leave.” He also mentions that he will miss the “wonderful” kids at BLS, and working with Lambda Cluster teachers Ms. Catherine Arnold and Ms. Molly McDonald-Long.

Ms. Long, who has shared the classroom next to Mr. Rosado for over a decade, says, “I’m so grateful that Mr. Rosado spent the last leg of his teaching career at BLS, and I look forward to sharing in the joy that his retirement adventures will surely bring!”